SOS Carbon, MIT startup, was founded on the technology for sequestering sargassum in the deep ocean and turning the problem into an opportunity for carbon offsetting. SOS Carbon has also developed the most cost-effective and low-impact solution for sargassum harvesting, the Littoral Collection Module (LCM), which mounts on any small boat.
We work to form alliances with the different sectors and groups involved in the sargassum problem at the public, private and academic levels in order to implement as quickly as possible, formally and aggressively the solutions that tourism and the environment desperately need to combat with the most cost-effective method the sargassum invasions.
SOS Carbon is looking forward to making alliances with organizations that value, promote, and would like to join our mission of environmental sanitation, conservation, & protection, and of social impact.
What is sargassum?
Sargassum is a brown macroalgae that is found on the surface of the sea and is transported by the currents of the Atlantic Ocean from Brazil to the beaches of the Caribbean.
Things you should know about sargassum:
Once the sargassum enters the coasts, it affects the marine ecosystem, killing fish, turtles, and removing the sun light and oxygen from corals and the marine ecosystem.
When sargassum rots on the coast, by being stagnant, it affects human health causing respiratory problems.
The LCM system not only solves the problems caused by sargassum but more importantly creates social impact and generates a chain of value by allowing utilization of sargassum as raw material and as a mean for carbon sequestration.
- Provide a formal employment platform for the local fishermen
- Environmental protection by collecting sargassum before it invades the coast/beach (it is affecting corals, turtles, other marine species)
- Eliminates the carbon captured in the sargassum (which is released once the seaweed roots)
- Generate value by processing sargassum into organic compost and other value added products
- Provide a long-term solution to ensure a sustainable tourism industry
- Provide an educational platform around marine conservation and engineering developments to create and drive social impact